Dogs Breaking the Ice

One important new job for dogs is helping humans with our social interactions according to Jon Katz.  He points out that because we are out walking and exercising our dogs, we end up meeting, conversing and sometimes befriending other dog people who otherwise would remain strangers.  It’s been true for me.  I’ve met many of my neighbours and made some wonderful friends because of a mutual interest in our dogs.

Recently a popular academic paper has been promoting the connection between the development of human civilisation and beer drinking.  Otherwise shy early humans found the courage to talk and exchange ideas after a few beers, the paper suggests.  Lately I've been thinking that maybe dogs have been facilitating human to human interactions for a long time as well.

Our neighbourhood is full of dogs and we've met many of them.  Initially,  I only know the dog’s names; there is Faith, the cute beagle, Josie, a fun loving labrador and Noki, a skinny border collie who can't resist giving me a thorough face wash when we meet.  Our dog Rocket introduced me to every one, but he usually doesn’t return Faith’s enthusiastic greetings, but without him, I don’t think Faith would be as interested in us.  My wife usually knows when I’ve stopped to visit with Faith by the beagle paw print she leaves, most times on my forehead. After several encounters, we humans get around to learning each others names, but there isn't any hurry for this.  Both sides seem to know that we let the dogs break the ice for a time while we size up the people.

I'm not surprised that people who lack empathy for animals digress into unspeakable acts of anti-social behaviours.  An adorable puppy melts the heart of most of us and warns me away from those who are unmoved.  Social researchers claim your personality is revealed by what you "like" on Facebook. I prefer to evaluate people based on how they relate to the family dog.  I think lots of us had a hard time endorsing a politician who infamously drove to the cottage with the dog boxed on the roof of the car.  I'm sure people decide what kind of guy I am by how I react when Rocket humps their dog.

I know our dog isn't my alter ego.  He isn't a furry child.  He likes to hang around with me because I make his life easy and comfortable.  Usually his antics make us laugh.

Of course, not all our meetings result in friendship.  A few mornings ago, I let Rocket off-leash for his standard morning scamper through a small, nearby wooded area.  While I was occupied cleaning up dog droppings, I heard a man’s excited shouting, and saw a young guy, wearing a green army surplus camo suit with a Rasta rainbow knit hat, coming our way fast.  He was racing to collect his large backpack he has left leaning against a tree, but was too late; Rocket had already marked it.  "Your dog just peed on my backpack!” was what he was shouting.  We used some snow to mop it up as best we could and the guy seemed to accept my apology, but I could tell it wasn’t an ideal introduction to our neighbourhood.

Our dog Rocket loves treats and will do all most anything to get them.  For awhile, anytime we gave the “down” cue, he would throw himself to the floor and include a robust “BARK” just for good measure.  One time we were visiting a friend who was working at the animal hospital and we had Rocket along.   When we entered the lobby, I noticed a little girl staring at our dog, obviously smitten by his canine good looks.  The girl left her mom’s side and asked if she could pet Rocket.  I said she could.  “Why is he in the hospital?” she wanted to know.  “Well every time he lays down, he barks,” I told her, “watch.”  I gave the dog his cue and, sure enough, he dropped to the floor and gave a big bark.  “Oh,” the girl said, “our dog does that, too!”  “Did they ever fix it?” I asked her.  “No, but he got hit by a car and is in the hospital now.”  I hope that dog survived to bark during tricks for many more years.

From our dog connections, we've become friends with musicians, veterinarians, university professors, foresters and teachers.  The guy with the beagle works in a gold mine.  Because we bring the dog along when we ski, we've spent time chatting with the fellow who grooms the local ski trails while our dogs cavort, destroying his nicely groomed tracks.  As perhaps happened in ancient times, we sometimes share beer with our new friends.

Copyright 2013 Paul Larsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making a New Sailboat Rudder

Ski waxing mess

Subaru Wagon Tailgate Hits Ski Box: DIY Modification