Ruby's Pink Slippers



I am a man who sews and that troubles my friend Bob.  I sew lots of dog booties.  I've sewn hundreds and lost most of them.  I experiment with all kinds of different fabrics and closures trying to make a better boot that allows dogs to run in the snow and not get ice-bound feet.  Not all dogs suffer snow packed paws, but our dog Rocket does big time.

So far, the best stuff with which to make snow booties is thin, uncoated nylon.  Most nylons are urethane coated to make them water-proof, but the coating makes them ice up faster as well as slower to dry out later on.  I always keep an eye out for good fabric and lately I've been recycling all our old jackets and wind-breakers into dog booties.  It's fun to see dogs wearing wildly coloured boots!  Last week I found an old Columbia anorak of mine that had a really nice, finely woven, uncoated nylon lining.  In hot pink.

Initially, I sewed a set of hot pink booties for Ruby, an adorable giant dog of mixed hairy ancestory.  Ruby has black button eyes and wild terrier fur on her snout.  Since she lives in Saskatoon, lots of her walks are in the snow.  I showed Bob the pink booties and he was appalled, thinking they were for our Rocket, a neutered male.  Of course I made a second set just for Rocket and he looks spectacular in them.  Plus, if they come off, the bright pink helps us to find the errant bootie in the woods.  Just don't tell Bob that I found the pink fabric lining my own old ski parka!


Rocket wearing Ruby's booties!

Copyright 2013 Paul Larsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making a New Sailboat Rudder

Ski waxing mess

Subaru Wagon Tailgate Hits Ski Box: DIY Modification